This article is an excerpt from NauticEd’s online Skipper Course, a comprehensive online sailing course for beginner to intermediate sailors to learn how to sail large sailboats 26 ft (8m) and above. Or upgrade to the Skipper Course Bundle to also master maneuvering under power and docking!
You can learn to sail and improve your sailing with NauticEd, the international leader in sailing education.
Basic Surface Geometry
Below is a brief summary of how locations are commonly expressed on different surfaces.
- Plane Surface (flat)—Two numerical coordinates (x and y) for locating objects in a plane
- Space (3 dimensions)—Three numerical coordinates (x, y, and z) for locating objects in space
- Earth’s surface (curved surface)—Use latitude and longitude
- Latitude (North or South of the equator)—expressed in degrees
- Longitude (East or West of the prime meridian)—expressed in degrees
- Additionally, airplanes use latitude, longitude, and altitude
You can learn more in the Skipper Course....
Knowledge and theory for longer distances and overnight sailing in diverse conditions. The Skipper Course is a comprehensive sailing course for beginner to intermediate sailors wanting to learn how to sail larger sailboats 26ft to 56ft. Or upgrade to the Skipper Course Bundle to also master maneuvering under power and docking!